第十三章(第13/19页)
Clifford tried her, and Mellors stepped quickly behind and began to push. She was going, the engine doing about half the work, the man the rest.
克利福德再度发动引擎,梅勒斯快步退到后面,开始用手推。它再度启程,依靠引擎和人力的合作。
Clifford glanced round, yellow with anger.
克利福德回头发现真相,气得脸色蜡黄。
"Will you get off there!"
“你给我滚远点!”
The keeper dropped his hold at once, and Clifford added: "How shall I know what she is doing!"
守林人立刻松开双手,克利福德又吼道:“你多此一举,我怎么能知道她跑得怎么样!”
The man put his gun down and began to pull on his coat. He'd done.
守林人放下猎枪,开始穿外套。他的任务已经结束。
The chair began slowly to run backwards.
轮椅开始慢慢向后倒退。
"Clifford, your brake!" cried Connie.
“克利福德,快点刹车!”康妮喊道。
She, Mellors, and Clifford moved at once, Connie and the keeper jostling lightly. The chair stood. There was a moment of dead silence.
她,梅勒斯以及克利福德顿时慌乱起来,康妮和守林人轻轻地碰了一下。轮椅总算停住。四周瞬间陷入死寂。
"It's obvious I'm at everybody's mercy!" said Clifford.
“看来我只能任人摆布了!”克利福德叹道。
He was yellow with anger.
他的脸色依然蜡黄。
No one answered. Mellors was slinging his gun over his shoulder, his face queer and expressionless, save for an abstracted look of patience. The dog Flossie, standing on guard almost between her master's legs, moved uneasily, eyeing the chair with great suspicion and dislike, and very much perplexed between the three human beings. The TABLEAU VIVANT remained set among the squashed bluebells, nobody proffering a word.
没人回应。梅勒斯把猎枪耷拉在肩头,神态怪异,面无表情,只是显得有些心不在焉,勉为其难。而猎犬弗洛西则几乎是站在主人两腿之间,局促不安地来回动着,双眼紧盯着轮椅,露出怀疑和厌恶的神色。它被三个人围在当中,显得很是困惑。风铃草东倒西歪,三个人又都默不作声,构成一幅生动的图景。
"I expect she'll have to be pushed," said Clifford at last, with an affectation of sang froid.
“我想她还是需要推一把。”克利福德终于打破沉默,故作镇静地表态说。
No answer. Mellors'abstracted face looked as if he had heard nothing. Connie glanced anxiously at him. Clifford too glanced round.
没人回应。梅勒斯仍是那副漫不经心的表情,好像什么都没听到。康妮焦急地瞥了他一眼。克利福德也回头看了看。
"Do you mind pushing her home, Mellors!" he said in a cool superior tone. "I hope I have said nothing to offend you," he added, in a tone of dislike.
“梅勒斯,你介意把轮椅推回家吗?”他的语调异常冷漠,盛气凌人。“希望我刚才说的话没冒犯到你。”他补充说,但显然是心有不甘。
"Nothing at all, Sir Clifford! Do you want me to push that chair?" "If you please." The man stepped up to it: but this time it was without effect. The brake was jammed. They poked and pulled, and the keeper took off his gun and his coat once more. And now Clifford said never a word. At last the keeper heaved the back of the chair off the ground and, with an instantaneous push of his foot, tried to loosen the wheels. He failed, the chair sank. Clifford was clutching the sides. The man gasped with the weight.
“怎么会呢,克利福德爵士!您需要我推轮椅吗?”“劳你大驾。”守林人走到轮椅旁边,但这次却没能推动。刹车被卡住了。他们又是推,又是拉,守林人再次摘掉猎枪,脱去外衣。现在沉默不语的变成克利福德。最后,守林人把轮椅后端提离地面,猛踹一脚,想要把轮子踢松。这样做没有见效,轮椅重新落回地面。克利福德牢牢抓住轮椅两侧。守林人不堪重负,累得呼呼直喘。