第十章(第16/42页)

But suddenly he came striding into the clearing, in his black oilskin jacket like a chauffeur, shining with wet. He glanced quickly at the hut, half-saluted, then veered aside and went on to the coops. There he crouched in silence, looking carefully at everything, then carefully shutting the hens and chicks up safe against the night.

但突然,他大踏步走进空地,身上那件黑色油布外衣像是司机的行头,上面落满雨水,闪闪发亮。他的目光扫过小屋,微施一礼,然后转身向鸡舍走去。他默然蹲下身子,仔细检查一番,然后小心翼翼地关好笼子,确保鸡妈妈和她们的宝宝一夜无忧。

At last he came slowly towards her. She still sat on her stool. He stood before her under the porch.

最后,他缓步向她靠近。她仍坐在凳子上。他来到门廊下,站在她的面前。

"You come then," he said, using the intonation of the dialect.

“恁来了。”他此时用的是方言。

"Yes," she said, looking up at him. "You're late! "Ay!" he replied, looking away into the wood.

“是的。”她应道,抬头望着他。“你来晚了!”“是呀!”他应道,转头向林中张望。

She rose slowly, drawing aside her stool.

她慢慢站起身,把凳子拉到一旁。

"Did you want to come in?" she asked.

“你要进来吗?”她问。

He looked down at her shrewdly.

他垂头看着她,两眼露出狡黠的目光。

"Won't folks be thinkin' some, you comin' here every night?" he said.

“恁每晚都来,不会有人起疑吗?”他问。

"Why?" She looked up at him, at a loss. "I said I'd come. Nobody knows.” "They soon will, though," he replied. "An' what then?” She was at a loss for an answer.

“为什么?”她不解地望着他,“我说过我会来。没人知道。”“可他们早晚会知道的,”他说,“那时怎么办才好?”她无言以对。

"Why should they know?" she said.

“为什么他们会知道?”她问。

"Folks always does," he said fatally.

“纸里包不住火。”他的答案直截了当。

Her lip quivered a little.

她的嘴唇微微颤抖起来。

"Well I can't help it," she faltered.

“可我也没有办法。”她支吾着。

"Nay," he said. "You can help it by not comin' —if yer want to," he added, in a lower tone.

“不。”他说。“恁有办法,不来这里会让一切平息——如果恁想这样做的话。”他低声补了一句。

"But I don't want to," she murmured.

“可我不想那么做。”她咕哝着。

He looked away into the wood, and was silent.

他转投向树林张望,沉默不语。

"But what when folks finds out?" he asked at last. "Think about it! Think how lowered you'll feel, one of your husband's servants.” She looked up at his averted face.

“可一旦被人发觉,到时候该怎么办?”末了,他问道。“试想一下!恁会感觉无地自容的,居然跟自己丈夫的仆人私通。”她抬头看着他侧转的脸。

"Is it," she stammered, "is it that you don't want me?” "Think!" he said. "Think what if folks find out Sir Clifford an'a’—an' everybody talkin' —” "Well, I can go away." "Where to?" "Anywhere! I've got money of my own. My mother left me twenty thousand pounds in trust, and I know Clifford can't touch it. I can go away.” "But 'appen you don't want to go away.” "Yes, yes! I don't care what happens to me.” "Ay, you think that! But you'll care! You'll have to care, everybody has. You've got to remember your Ladyship is carrying on with a game-keeper. It's not as if I was a gentleman. Yes, you'd care. You'd care.” "I shouldn't. What do I care about my ladyship! I hate it really. I feel people are jeering every time they say it. And they are, they are! Even you jeer when you say it.” "Me!" For the first time he looked straight at her, and into her eyes. "I don't jeer at you," he said.